Hello Grinners and MimbleWimblers,
Given that I’ll be working full-time for the community very soon, I was going to start up a separate blog to keep everyone informed of my own progress updates and personal happenings. However, since this shiny new forum has come into being, I think a thread here is a much better way of doing it. Rather than sending everyone off to a separate site, I’ll keep this thread updated week-to-week with a description of what I’ve been working on, as well as my intentions for the coming week.
Anything in this thread is my own, and doesn’t necessarily reflect the views of the project as a whole.
I’ll be 100% Grin from Feb 1st onwards, perhaps briefly pausing in the evenings to tend to the deep pathos of a screaming Yeastling. I’ll be a little bit quieter than usual activity-wise until then as I need to wrap up loose ends in the place I’m leaving, but I’m very much looking forward to being able to think about nothing but Grin.
The funding campaign a few weeks back was a huge success, and my thanks again to everyone who donated. Unfortunately and annoyingly, Bitcoin also decided to begin a long, slow (in crypto-terms) decline since the campaign, which is bad news for everyone involved in the space professionally and for many people on a personal level. In my case, watching it decline removed any small sense of security I had for the funding period, watching €50k become €40k and then €30 and then wondering whether there’d even be enough left to cover the intended funding period when it came time to actually withdraw the funds.
The intention was to use Bitcoin’s openness to ensure transparency, however, in retrospect relying on something so volatile for short-term funding needs was probably a mistake we’ll need to hedge somehow for future fund raising efforts. In the meantime, after speaking with Igno I’ve decided that the best course of action right now is to convert the entire amount into cash while there is still definitely enough remaining to cover the original intended 3 month funding period. Nobody knows whether BTC will recover tomorrow or whether it’s on a steady decline back to €1000, and keeping the funds in the BTC account basically amounts to placing a short-term bet that the price will hold steady or increase. The funds aren’t intended for this kind of speculation, so taking them out now ensures they’re available for their intended purpose, and removes a source of distraction from me (having to be worried about the price of Bitcoin). I apologise for switching course slightly here, and especially apologise to those who donated, as the amounts they’d give turned out to be less than they intended. However, I really felt this was the best course of action given the situation.
This is just an overview of what I’ve done since the campaign, to give some context for future updates. Please note that every time I outline my work in this thread it’s in the name on openness and transparency for my community funding. This is not for bragging rights, and many other people have contributed just as much or more in the same timeframe.
Written a single-signer implementation of an Aggregated Signature (AKA Schnorr) library adapted from Andrew Poelstra’s work. This is for inclusion in our fork of libSecp256k1 to support Grin’s Aggregated Signature transactions. What this does is allow wallet-to-wallet transactions to happen without either party revealing their private keys, and in such a way that neither party can pretend they didn’t receive it (both features lacking in Testnet1). Details can be found via the PR
Integrated such into Grin by modifying the wallet workflow… Grin master now uses AggSig transactions.
Updates to cuckoo-miner to support @tromp’s latest CUDA Miner, bug fixes for asynchronous mining mode, and some tweaks to mining parameters in Grin to better tune for Cuckoo 30 on Testnet2. Basically, the master version of Grin should now allow mining at full Cuckoo 30, and on multiple devices in parallel… see PR for further details.
I’m not 100% decided what I’ll be working on next, but here are the main things currently on my radar. This will change over time:
- More fixes to mining parameters (there’s some floating point arithmetic in the difficulty adjustment I’ve been talking with @tromp about how to get rid of) and tweaking.
- There is some work on AggSig remaining to handle concurrent transactions and handle errors better… I put this aside for a bit to update cuckoo-miner, but this still needs to be done
- Bullet Proofs … for our purposes, smaller range proofs (under 1k each instead of 4-4.5k). I need to check on the status of Andrew’s work, but I need to familiarise self with their internal workings before thinking about integrating them
This is already far longer than intended, so will sign off now. Will update this thread with future updates after I’ve settled in to my new job.